domingo, 12 de octubre de 2008

re cap...

i really enjoyed reading the three very differently stylized chicano books. My favourite one by far would have to be "y no se lo trago la tierra" just because of the style its written in, the point of view of a narrator who is a young child, and the highly controversial themes that arise throughout the book.

I hope though, that in the novels to come, we touch on issues like chicana feminism and the problems that arise in their lives, in contemprorary USA. i was surpised not to have found a single book or at least an article by Gloria Anzaldua, who is one of the most influential chicana women writers out there. For anyone who is interested in this literature i highly recommend reading her work. She is highly inspirational and has a very unqiue and magnificent style of writing.

Another theme that i feel we haven't touched on as much, and perhaps its because we've been reading about mexico/USA in the 1950's and earlier on, but the idea of space i find is really important when talking about chicanos. Where does one belong when he/she does not belong to either place or belongs to both. Gloria Anzaldua talks about this state called "nepantla", which is like an in between state...kind of like limbo. I think its a really big issues that many chicanos deal with while trying to build their identity...obviously being chicano is a socially constructed identity that gives people from mexico living in the states, some identity. However, the idea of not wanting to fully assimilate to the american way of life and also trying to stay away from the traditional mexican norms (for women, for example) puts chicanos in a place where perhaps neither here nor there is good..which leaves them in this states of nepantla.

I hope the coming up books deals with feminism and space because for our class, these are important grounds to cover. and if we can throw a little Anzaldua in the way,,,that would be fabulous!!! happy thanksgiving!!!

6 comentarios:

Jon dijo...

Val, we did spend quite some time on the question of feminism in relation to Who Would Have Thought It?. (For some people that was too much time.) Did that not count?

Anyhow, all the books we're reading in the second half of class are by women.

But personally, I think that Anzaldúa is vastly over-rated, and certainly has little or no literary merit or interest. But perhaps you can say why you like her?

heather dijo...

Val, I am in total agreement with you. As you know Gloria Anzaldua is also one of my favourite Chicana writers. From what I've read for our wikipedia about Cisneros it seems that she will bring a little more Anzaldua-style Chicana writing to this class.

I personally love Anzaldua's writing because it is both personal and full of emotion while being relevant to Chicano culture. It's amazing that I've never enjoyed poetry in my life until I began reading Anzaldua's poetry about identity, space and borders, she really opened my eyes to a lot and lead me to explore other authors and other issues. I would also recommend that everyone check out her work.

Jon, since Anzaldua is often said to be one of the most influential Chicana writers, I'm intrigued to hear why you believe that she has little or no literary merit or interest...

valerie voikin dijo...

me too heather. actually im completley surpised to see that your so hostile and perhaps a little bitter about anzaldua. something in your past your not telling us? hehehe...gloria anzaldua is a very inspirational writer and obviously not just to the chicana community, as i am one of her big fans. her style of writing using spanglish, her poetism, and all the issues she brings forward are only a few of the things i love about her. she is a very intense writer and brings up many issues that not only happen in her in between state but on both sides of the borders. she isnt biased towards a country and does an excellent job analyzing the different issues that arise for chicanos on either side. im definatley curious to hear what you have to say jon about why you find her so "overrated" and with "no literary merti"...thats quite harsh dont you think??? im almost offended... :)

Beth dijo...

Val, thanks for bringing that up. I'm really excited to look into Gloria Anzaldúa's literature. I like that someone has taken the time to address the significant concept of "neplanta," and put a name on it. After all, it plays a huge role in he life of the Chicano people. A massive part of their struggle is the displacement and lack of belonging they feel in their own homes. I'm really interested to see whay Anzaldúa has to say about it, despite Jon's overt disapproval of her writing, haha.

Serena dijo...

Hi Val,
I also have to come to Anzaldua's defense here. I'm not familiar with her literary or poetic works but I have read a selection of her theoretical works which have made important contributions to chicana, queer, and (postcolonial) feminist theory. I'm somewhat shocked that you, Jon, were so dismissive of her, and in the spirit of friendly debate I'm very intrigued as to what you're going to say in your defense. You bring up some very good points Val, especially about nepantla, which has been in all of the texts we've read so far without being explicitly named. I'm also looking forward to working through the ideas presented by modern chicana feminist writers.

Jon dijo...

Hmm, maybe we could add an essay by Anzaldúa, as you guys seem such fans... even if for me it's like having my fingernails pulled out with rusty pliers.

But it's true that it's a long time since I read Anzaldúa. Perhaps I should stop avoiding her?